30 Million Years in Melbourne
About The Program
In this program, students will travel back through time to explore how Australia and the greater Melbourne region has changed over the last 30 million years. Students will understand the fundamental basics of evolution by looking at the fossil record and understanding pivotal extinction events that have shaped modern Australia. This program can be done both online or in person, with a real and immersive fossil display from Port Phillip Bay that can be brought to each school.
Key Concepts & Questions
• What is Evolution?
• What are extinction events and what role are humans playing in the modern era?
• What is anatomy and how can we use this discipline to reconstruct ancient animals?
• The theory of Plate tectonics
up to 25 students per session, 2 sessions minimum.
$550 for two sessions (back to back)
• 3-4 Represent and communicate observations, ideas and findings to show patterns and relationships using formal and informal scientific language (VCSIS072)
• 3-4 Science knowledge helps people to understand the effects of their actions (VCSSU056)
• 5-6 Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (VCSSU074)
• 5-6 The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (VCSSU075)
• 5-6 Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to inform personal and community decisions and to solve problems that directly affect people’s lives (VCSSU073)
• 7-8 Ways that flows of water connect places as they move through the environment and the ways this affects places (VCGGK106)
• 7-8 There are differences within and between groups of organisms; classification helps organise this diversity (VCSSU091)
• 9-10 Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic components of the environment; matter and energy flow through these systems (VCSSU121)
Restrictions: Our group sizes are capped at 25 students and our maximum is 100 per excursion. More than 4 classes can be accommodated by special request. We will send you instructions for transport and a day plan after you book.