Exploring the Miniature World of Insects and Bugs
About The Program
Bookings open in Term 1, 2022
Bugs are everywhere and they are a healthy part of any outdoor space! How can we attract bugs to our outdoor spaces and what can we learn by watching them closely?
Key Concepts & Questions
- We are a part of a living planet and insects play a very important role
- What insects are living in our outdoor areas? If there are very few or none, why? (Reasons include lack of habitat and use of chemical sprays)
- What do insects do for us in our environment?
- What do insects need to live happy lives?
Incursion (face-to-face) & Online
2 x 40 minutes (two sessions minimum)
Early Years (face-to-face)
Prep-Year 6 (face-to-face & online)
max 22 per session (face-to-face)
max 50 per session (online)
$550+GST (two sessions, minimum)
$750+GST (three sessions, maximum)
$150+GST (online 1 session)
From Term 1, 2022
insect habitat, insects and bug, bug box
- VCSSU041 – People use Science in their daily lives
- VCSSU031 – Science is about exploring the world around me
VCSSU074 – Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them survive in their environments.
- VEYLDF – Children are connected with and contribute to their world (the natural world)
- VEYLDF – Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
- VEYLDF – Children are confident and involved learners
- VEYLDF – Children are effective communicators
In this session we explore:
- The EcoCentre “bug” box with a collection of insects/bugs that were found dead and have been collected for closer observation
- Where bugs/insects may be found in our outdoor spaces, and how to carefully collect bugs/insects for closer observation of their body parts and adaptations
- Where they make their homes and what they need for habitats
- How we can create recycled habitats to encourage more of these important little friends to our gardens
The face-to-face incursion is delivered at your ELC or Primary School by an EcoCentre Educator as 2×40 minute sessions with a short break in between. The maximum number of participants per session is 22 for ELC/Kindergarten and 25 students for Prep – Year 6. The minimum number of sessions is 2 (cost $550 +GST), the maximum number of sessions is 3 (cost $750 +GST). Our educator will bring the materials for this incursion.
This program is also available as an Online Incursion for Primary Schools at $150+GST per session, for up to 50 students on Zoom.
Again, thank you so so much for sharing your wonderful content with us (Bug/Insects Incursion). We did it with the small group of children we have at the service at the moment but I also sent it home for Remote Learning. So many families engaged and provided amazing feedback and I have sent out your website link for them to go through as well. I have since received many photos of the children’s bugs from home so it was definitely a success!Molly Petruccelle Children’s Program, Carlton North