About The Program
In this program, students will travel back through time to explore how Australia and the greater Melbourne region has changed over the last 30 million years. Students will understand the fundamental basics of evolution by looking at the fossil record and understanding pivotal extinction events that have shaped modern Australia. This program can be done both online or in person, with a real and immersive fossil display from Port Phillip Bay that can be brought to each school.
• What is Evolution?
• What are extinction events and what role are humans playing in the modern era?
• What is anatomy and how can we use this discipline to reconstruct ancient animals?
• The theory of Plate tectonics
Excursion Duration:45 minutes
Year Level:Year 4 to 10
Group Size:Up to 50 students per session
Cost:$150 +GST for up to 50 students
• 3-4 Represent and communicate observations, ideas and findings to show patterns and relationships using formal and informal scientific language (VCSIS072)
• 3-4 Science knowledge helps people to understand the effects of their actions (VCSSU056)
• 5-6 Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (VCSSU074)
• 5-6 The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (VCSSU075)
• 5-6 Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to inform personal and community decisions and to solve problems that directly affect people’s lives (VCSSU073)
• 7-8 Ways that flows of water connect places as they move through the environment and the ways this affects places (VCGGK106)
• 7-8 There are differences within and between groups of organisms; classification helps organise this diversity (VCSSU091)
• 9-10 Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic components of the environment; matter and energy flow through these systems (VCSSU121)
This incursion is delivered online using Zoom. A teacher and class can join the session from the classroom or remotely from home. A meeting link and instructions will be sent out with the booking confirmation. Minimum group size is 20, maximum group size is 50.
An invoice will be forwarded after the incursion is completed. The fee covers our programs administration costs. Please book your incursion at least 7 days in advance – we are unable to accept last-minute bookings.