Field Work and Citizen Science Programs
The EcoCentre can develop and deliver a limited number of bach-based field work and citizen science programs to suit your students and school’s needs. Our field work program provides students the opportunity to participate in real world, ongoing citizen science projects.
The following areas are covered in this program:
1. Introduction to the natural history of Port Phillip and local ecosystem
2. Understanding Citizen Science and the purpose of data collection:
– Monitoring land and seascape change generated by natural and human processes to inform future planning
– Importance of consistent data collection methodology
– Benefits of ongoing data collection to pick up seasonal differences and longer term trends
3. Practical demonstration of Citizen Science Activities: Shoreline Shell Survey, Beach Litter
Audit and Beach Profiling.
– Facilitated on-site at beach locations.
– Site safety and risk management (awareness of potential local hazards)
– Importance of teamwork and quality control – assigning a task and quality control buddy to each team member.
– Importance of completing fundamentally important data fields (date and location of survey)
– Learning by doing – practical conduct of the survey
– Ensuring students have time to practice and correct.
4. Data entry and processing (optional): understanding the way in which data is entered into a database and exploring visual representations of the data. Basic data input instructions for each survey method.
5. Ideas for creative communications (optional): opportunities for communicating scientific findings creatively.
– Working with students to identify key messages and audiences, as appropriate to the college’s curriculum.
– Exploring most appropriate medium, eg infographics / visual arts, spoken word, radio, music / song?
6. Training wrap up and evaluation: evaluation of student confidence in conducting Citizen Science activities and general evaluation of the training program. Students can practically demonstrate their understanding, competence and confidence.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your needs.